Ka'i i ke ala digital creator in this 11-week intensive program
Digital Creators is a virtual 11-week course designed to help Hawaiʻi-based professionals advance their skills in digital marketing, graphic design, and storytelling. Our curriculum emphasizes place-based design in a Hawaiian context and seeks to inform the way we approach marketing, design, and storytelling to embed cultural grounding in all of the things that we create.
During the course, students will engage in hands-on exercises to craft compelling social media campaigns and brand identities for local businesses in Hawaiʻi. By the end of the course, students will have produced a digital marketing campaign, conducted a brand redesign, and assembled a website portfolio showcasing their work.
Why you should join
- Refine your marketing and design skills through hands-on projects for local businesses
- Explore place-based design in a Hawaiian context and cultivate a mindful approach to marketing, designing, and storytelling
- Expand your portfolio with new projects
- Create a professional portfolio on Squarespace
- Build a network of fellow creators to collaborate with
Elevate your digital skills
This class is offered for free!
Our Kuleana as Storytellers in Hawaiʻi
Module 1 will guide students through foundational principles of place-based design and dive into the intersection of indigenous culture and digital storytelling. We’ll look at culturally-grounded frameworks to help shape your approach to marketing, design, and storytelling and empower you to explore your kuleana as a digital creator in Hawaiʻi.
Social Media Marketing & Content Creation
In Module 2, students will put their digital skills into action by developing a social media campaign for a local business. Throughout this module, you will hone your ability to strategically plan an Instagram campaign and craft compelling content for social media.
Brand Identity Design
In Module 3, students will redesign a brand identity for a local business. Through a hands-on exercise, you’ll learn the entire process of creating a brand identity for a client, including conducting a creative brief, developing a mood board, designing a logo, and creating cohesive branded collateral.
Squarespace Website Portfolio
In the fourth and final module, students will create a website portfolio showcasing their work. You’ll learn how to design a Squarespace website and present detailed case studies of your projects. By the end of the course, you will have a portfolio that can be shared with future employers or clients.
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if you:
- Are based in Hawaiʻi (across the pae ʻāina)
- Have some marketing or design experience and are looking to enhance your skills
- Can commit to attending a 1.5-hour Zoom meeting every Tuesday for 11 weeks, from September through November
- Possess a basic understanding of marketing and/or visual design principles
- Have some relevant experience (e.g., digital marketing, design, content creator)
- Proficient with at least one graphic design software (e.g., Canva, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign)
- Able to manage projects and meet deadlines
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally
- Must have access to a computer
- Must possess baseline technology literacy (be able to navigate a web browser to access websites, set up new user accounts, navigate computer file system, etc.)
Stay up to date
If you’re interested in participating in this program, but don’t fully meet the requirements, we encourage you to submit an application anyway. In case we have available spots, we may reach out to you.