Mālama Venture Studio, Mālama Design Studio
Full-Time/Part-time contract available on an as needed basis
The Mālama division of the Purple Maiʻa Foundation focuses on innovation, design, and entrepreneurship. The program’s Web Developer will support:
- Mālama Design Studio: a 9-month accelerator program for Kānaka Maoli-owned businesses focused on aloha ‘āina, sustainability & regenerative business models that cultivate waiwai (community wealth) to uplift our lāhui (people).
- Ka Maka ʻĪnana: a bi-yearly design-thinking cohort centered on community solutions and problem-solving in a local and indigenous context
- KMI Think Tank: monthly programming for our Ka Maka ʻĪnana alumni, intended to foster networking with community organizations and grow contract opportunities for these alumni to work on real community projects
- Digital Creators: a bi-yearly digital design program for adults and students teaching the basics of brand storytelling, digital marketing, and ecommerce solutions
- Mālama Design Network: a consultancy network made up of graduates and alumni of our programs, intentionally managed to create job opportunities and grow waiwai for our community.
Our Web Developer is integral to the long term success and resiliency of the Mālama division as a whole. As a Web Developer, you will be responsible for supporting our team in various creative and technological aspects of each of our programs.
This position is a great professional development opportunity. You will be encouraged and enabled to grow your network in the startup and business communities and given opportunities to build and develop new skills in the areas of technology, networking, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
The Purple Maiʻa Foundation is rooted in our Native Hawaiian culture, so there will also be opportunities to deepen your connection to people and place.
The Web Developer will:
- Ideate and develop innovative tech solutions for programs, partner companies and more, including leading website development and design for portfolio companies and partners
- Work closely with the Mālama team and its partners to determine project goals, prioritize deliverables, and develop roadmaps to achieve them
- Create flow charts, wireframes, and prototypes to present multiple solution options
- Execute basic to advanced web development and other tech deliverables on an as-needed basis
- Troubleshoot various web and technical issues that arise in both internal and external projects
- Evaluate existing technologies and web services to determine areas of improvement and innovation
- Evaluate all web and technology projects for ease of accessibility and make recommendations toward increasing access and adhering to WCAG guidelines
- Attend design and development meetings
- Continually improve development skills
Requirements and Skills
- Demonstrate a moderate level of understanding of the social and economic issues that Native Hawaiians historically and currently face along with an understanding of our local business climate and culture
- Basic level of understanding Hawaiian language preferred but not required
- Experience in web design, front-end web, and UI/UX development and knowledge of a basic programming language preferred
- Experience with low code or no code development tools like Glide, Bubble, Wix, or Webflow
- Experience with training, educating and onboarding newcomers to various technologies
- Self-starting, self-regulating, and self-learning with the ability to execute deliverables and stay on task with little to no supervision or reminders
- Well organized with the ability to work on multiple projects and effectively prioritize project hours and deliverables
- Thoughtful and intentional with both deliverables and communication. Capable of responding respectfully to feedback while also giving thoughtful feedback where needed
- Hold a growth mindset of constant learning to bring fresh perspectives and competencies to the organization
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and with team members while adjusting for a variety of work settings (virtual, in-person, fast-paced, asynchronous, impromptu, etc.)
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Product Design or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred but not required
Purple Maiʻa Foundation is a remote friendly employer, but we can accommodate in-office work as well. We are based out of Hālau ʻĪnana, a 5,000 sq. ft. space optimized for collaboration, and educational events in Mōʻiliʻili, Oʻahu.
Staff are expected to attend cultural and ʻāina restoration workdays and team building events on roughly a quarterly basis.
For employees who do not live on Oʻahu, some travel is expected.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Part-time contract work opportunities available as needed
- Individual and family medical and dental insurance options available